"Butterfly Kisses" and the book i was reading that day where this dad wrote a letter to his daughters prospective boyfriend really got me thinking
how hard it must be for parents to see us grow up
when we were young, they were out world
we looked up to them for everything
we sought solace and security in them
broken bones, fevers, all those bruises and cuts
we'd go running to them
cause we know they'll make it better
The times when friends made us cry
the times we'd fight with our siblings
we'd go running to them too
then we grew up
we started building walls around our lives
choosing what and when we let them in on
We let our friends and hmm significant others share our lives
while our parents stood guard outside
always there for us
hoping we'd let them in
no matter how cold or dark it got outside
they never complained
they still loved us unconditionally
despite us triple bolting the door
I'd always remember the day
I sat there in the wee hours of the morning
And then my mummy came in and asked me why i was out
and i broke down upon saying a few words
and she just hugged me and cried with me
and for the first time in a long time,
we prayed together
then i remember her telling me i had to tell them whats wrong
cause i wasn't going through it alone and that we were all in it together
I think that was the day i gradually tore down those walls
My daddy used to sit there every night when i studied
My mummy would slip me little post it notes with bible verses
Sometimes i'd see her come home with puffy eyes
I knew it was cause she hurt to see me hurt
I really love and appreciate my parents
The ones who have seen me at my best and worst
Seen us through skinned knees and hearts
Despite all the scoldings,
I know we're well all very well loved :)
Parents hold our hands for awhile,
but our hearts forever :)
No comments:
Post a Comment